Attend Tsinghua University, one of the most prestigious universities in China, located on the site of a former royal garden of the Qing Dynasty.

The CGE is excited to expand our Direct Exchange program offerings to include China, giving Mason students the opportunity to spend a full semester in the Haidian District of northwest Beijing studying with the Student Exchange Program at Tsinghua University. Students may choose from more than 100 courses in English, including those at Tsinghua's School of Economics and Management, which was ranked "the best business school of China" by Fortune.

One of the many traditional Chinese gardens on campus, Han Pavilion.

Tsinghua's unique campus combines traditional Chinese landscaping and architecture with many Western style buildings. Their campus boasts 8 different dining halls and cafeterias for students as well as 5 restaurants. There are numerous sports and recreation facilities that can be rented, including a rock-climbing wall and the impressive 9,400 square meter Natatorium (indoor pool) where 2008 Beijing Olympic athletes trained.

The 6th Teaching Building, completed in 2003. It is the largest teaching building on campus, equipped with state-of-the art technology.

Tsinghua students jumping

With more than 30,000 students at Tsinghua, of which 2,700 are international students, this could be the perfect destination for the Mason student interested in furthering his or her Chinese language skills, or taking courses in science or economics while making friends from around the world. All exchange students live in the on-campus ZiJing dormitory (rooms are furnished and all include A/C, TV and internet access).

Typical room in ZiJing dormitory.

Near campus in the Haidian District are other universities, gardens (the Fragrant Hills are pictured at top of page, with "You Could be Here!" image) and historical sites, as well as the popular international student hangout, Wudaokou (below).


Wudaokou - down town Beijing

Visa Information

Once accepted into a program, it will be your responsibility to apply for a student visa and/or residence permit (if required, based on your citizenship). You will receive details on this with your acceptance letter. Do not apply for a visa until after you have been officially accepted. Visit the Embassy of China's website for further information.

How to Apply

Consult the How to Apply section first and make sure you meet the eligibility requirements for a direct exchange program. Next, attend a Direct Exchange program information session. Do this prior to starting an application to ensure that you understand how to choose the right program and what is expected of you during the application process.

Check the course offerings at the school you are interested in applying to and check to ensure that they match your course requirements. See “Choosing Courses Abroad” section below.

Once you’ve selected an appropriate program that offers courses that match your major, complete the online application and pay the $175 registration and processing fee. Please note that all supplemental documents are also required by the application deadline. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please contact the program officer for further application forms and instructions specific to your program.

Choosing Courses Abroad

There is no list of pre-approved classes for you to take on a direct exchange program. It is your responsibility to select courses and get them approved for transfer credit. Please refer to the “Departments and Courses” link on the left-hand side of this page for a list of course options on this program.  You must then complete a Petition for Transfer of Credits Form to ensure that your courses will transfer back to Mason.

Petition for Transfer of Credits Form

Download Petition for Transfer of Credits [PDF]

Download petition form instructions for Tsinghua

You can fill out the petition form prior to acceptance into a specific study abroad program and in fact, you should begin this process when you first consider applying.  Identify courses at the host institution that are similar to those at Mason that you need to take.  This will increase your chances of receiving transfer credit approval from the Departmental Advisors who must sign your petition form. Follow complete instructions from the link above and contact your program officer if you have questions. 

Make sure you find plenty of primary AND alternate course options before deciding on a specific program.  Schedules are subject to change and registration in your preferred classes is not guaranteed, so you should have sufficient alternate course options. Also, please keep in mind that you must enroll in the equivalency of at least 12 U.S. credits per semester.

*CGE reserves the right to make changes to a program in light of currency fluctuations, changing security and safety conditions, or any other unforeseen circumstances.